A Tree Friend

I have several tree friends. Most I haven’t seen for years because I don’t hike to where they are any more. One tree friend is just down the highway from where I live.

Meet Sir Octopus.

001 red

Sir Octopus swims in the wind, the same as an octopus swims in the water.

In the winter we swim through a sky-blue sea.

When we swim in the summer, its green leaves become seaweed. Birds and butterflies become fish. A lizard becomes a seahorse. A flower garden becomes a coral reef below us. Rocks become clams and oysters. A garter snake becomes an eel, and beetles become shrimp.

We dive to the bottom to look for sunken pirate ships. We swim with the whales, play with the otters and hide from the sharks.

Sometimes I close my eyes and feel the tides of wind move Sir Octopus around.

——

Sir Octopus is a catalpa. Its shape resulted from trimming over the years to accomodate power lines above it.

1. The tree seems to have been through some rough times with all of the topping to allow for power lines. I so hate when the trees are disfigured but at least the limbs at the bottom give it a stately look. Why power companies do not bury more of the utility lines, I have yet to figure out. Nice post.

2. I love Sir Octopus! I remember when you took me there last summer.

3. Posted by Therese on December 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Beautiful tree. Beautiful words.

4. Sir Octopus is truly inspirational and obviously has a way of inciting people’s dreams.

5. Beautiful tree and pictures!! I feel like climbing 😉

6. Speaking of trees, your elm tree orbs are posted at http://orbsdelight.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/orb-guest-photographs-the-dark/
    (sent you an email last night)

7. “Tree friends” is a felicitous phrase. I don’t know if I’ve heard it before, but it’s a good one.

• I have several trees that draw my attention. One of my first blogs was about my favorite tree friend. It’s titled “The Grandmother Tree. I tried posting a link to it and couldn’t for some reason.