Ladybug Beetles

A ladybug landed on the side of the house near the picture window in early November. It reminded me of swarms of ladybugs I found one fall while hiking along a sandstone bluff.

They  had swarmed where they planned to hibernate for the winter. These were at the mouth of a deep crevice that went way back into the sandstone.

This is the same “pile”of them as in the first picture. They were everywhere. Their body temperature remains the same as their surroundings.

They are known to congregate in swarms in houses too. I learned, when they used to get in my camper, that they don’t smell the best and that their tiny bite hurts. They will also gather in clusters under the bark and in crevices of trees.

Ladybugs are beetles, with over 5,000 species worldwide!

1. Posted by Vicki on December 30, 2012 at 9:52 am

very interesting. thank you. 🙂

2. Posted by my secret love for you on December 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love them!

3. Wow. I consider it a treat when I see one ladybug. The swarm is amazing (and I love the diversity in the coloration of the individuals).

4. Posted by Therese on December 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Brings back memories.

5. How wonderful to see a swarm of LBs such as this one. I have never seen more than one little ole bettle on a plant in the yeard. Nice photos.

6. The comment above has a typo- “yeard” is supposed to be yard.

7. They get into my outdoor sheds and do the same thing. I have to sweep them out every spring! Sometimes they bite me, but I still like ladybugs cause they are cute, I have to admit!

8. I’ve never seen this many at once. At a glance, I might’ve mistaken them for a colorful fungus. How neat!

9. That’s amazing. I’ve had them in the house but nowhere near those numbers!