Stone Masonary part 2

This is the second of three blogs on this hike.

Nature’s elements sure had a vivid imagination when it came to the designs in the rocks of a short bluff on Eagle Mountain.

The hike up the steep hill to this short bluff was more than strenuous.

This picture shows steepest part of the slope.

The yellowish sandstone above lacks the iron of the patterned sandstone below.

There were so many combinations in the lines,

bending and folding,

IMG_4251 red alt

repetitions in the layering,

IMG_4252 red altand a diversity in cavity shapes.

IMG_4254 red alt

Why was there so much more layering, instead of solid shapes?

IMG_4258 red alt

This one was sure a curiosity.

I just don’t understand what could cause such a diversity of designs. It was faster erosion of the regular sandstone and the slower erosion of the sandstone with the iron. Still there had to be a force that created the original layering before the start of the erosion.

1. Posted by Therese on January 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

Just amazing! They say as long as you learn, you will never grow old. You, my dear, shall never grow old. Your curious nature comes through loud and clear in the captions to your stunning photos. ]

2. Posted by Therese Beavers on January 5, 2013 at 8:55 am

Your curiosity just amazes me. I think your curious nature is one of your most prominent qualities. Your curiosity encourages you to learn. Wow! What a quality to possess Your Deer Sister admires you!

________________________________

3. Wonderful post. So full of information and the wonder of seeing these formations through your camera lens is just great.

4. Nice rock!

5. It’s as if a sheet of stone was folded when it was in a plastic state. It looks like there might be some interesting lichens there as well.

6. Wow incredible pictures!!!
    probably water in some point. My daughter always tells me that in many cases is the water that causes the mayor erosion.

7. I can’t tell if I’m looking at fossilized mud or volcanic sludge.

8. The rock shapes are like nothing I’ve ever seen before! Don’t forget your Wheaties next time! lol