Farewell to Snow

After being snowed/iced in for almost 2 weeks, Buffy and I headed to my rural property for a morning hike. I heard running water in the creek before we reached the ravine.

After “oohing and aahing” a bit, I ended up noticing the designs that snow falling from the trees made in the snow below.

IMG_7094 red alt

The angle of the sun was just right to showcase them.

IMG_7101 alt red

Snow melting contributed to their designs too.

IMG_7104 red alt

My pictures didn’t do them justice. I didn’t know how to set my camera to compensate for the bright snow.

IMG_7154 crop alt red

IMG_7147 crop alt red

IMG_7144 alt red

These discs measured 4-5 inches across.

The east-facing slope had less snow than the west-facing one did.

IMG_7129 alt red

This last one measured over 12 inches from top to bottom and 3 or more inches tall. I couldn’t figure out how it formed. There were concentric oval “lines” and a slight depression in the center. Maybe it rolled and fell to the side, resulting in the design. Nothing made sense …

It had to be magic.

1. Woah! I have never seen nor heard of such a thing! Those designs are incredible I wish I could be there with you! B-)

2. Posted by Vicki on January 13, 2013 at 9:31 am

very pretty! I wish we had some snow so I could look forward to these things here.

3. Mother Nature is the best designer, all categories! 🙂

4. Posted by Therese on January 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Only you would take time to notice “snow droppings”. How lucky we are that we have you! You notice beauty in everything—big and small. Thank you.

5. wow, very interesting, I love the picture with the big snow circle !!

6. Scenes with lots of bright areas in them usually fool my camera meter into producing underexposed pictures, so in cases like that I compensate by setting the camera to overexpose by one f/stop.

7. Very lovely photos and thoughtfully observed. I’ll bet the air smelled bracingly fresh and clean!

8. Truly love the spiral design of the last photograph. I’ve gone around and caught snow faces on trees and photographed them. Then I made a riddle to go along with it. It’s called tree spirits and if you go to my site it will take you to my hubpages where I posted it. You have to use your imagination and looks to me that’s what inspired your snow photo session! Have a great week ahead! Kathi :O)