Deserves Respect

The ground crunched under foot in the backyard. The sun shone through very few clouds. The 9 a.m. temperature sat at 27, and the northwest wind blew at 20mph, gusting to 29, making a wind chill of 15.

I walked right up to this dandelion, in full bloom, showing no signs of even knowing it was cold.

IMG_8269 crop alt red

I know many people consider dandelions to be a weed. Not me. They’re one of the first flowers to bloom in the spring and last in the fall. Butterflies and other insects visit them. Kids of all ages like to blow the seeds from their ball-shaped seedhead.

The flower sure had my respect, and my appreciation for the beauty it added to my day.

1. Wow. I am surprised it is blooming in such cold weather!

2. Nice work and thoughts about the dandelion which is edible (leaves) and, according to what I have read is pretty tasty.

3. I’m a sucker for weeds, admiring their hardiness and resililence. I hear dandelions make a good wine, too.

4. The latest one I’ve seen was on December 21st. I’ve heard that it is day length that triggers their bloom rather than the temperature because it can be quite cold in spring when they normally bloom.

5. I think dandelions are beautiful, in all its stages! And impressive it blooms even under difficult circumstances 🙂

6. Thank you for sharing to us.this is fantastic.

7. What a wonderful find Kathy! A week ago my mom told me she has several of her daffodils blooming along the woods behind her property. Crazy weather!