My Fascination with Ice

The creek on my rural property was a mixture of running water, frozen and freezing ice.

The darker areas had water touching the ice underneath.

Air filled the light areas.

IMG_8579red

I’m sure the explanation for these shapes would be too complicated for an artistic mind.

Just amazing!

———–

The sequence of next 6 pictures was taken in two minutes.

The light areas were light because air filled the void below the ice.

The whole surface was frozen. Air would rush under the ice in spidering directions.

First here and then there. Obviously, the water level was slowly dropping.

Sometimes small areas turned white; other times much larger areas.

This whole area was about three feet square.

IMG_8587 alt red arrow

The arrow shows where the original opening was.

The word amazing came to mine.

1. Beautiful shots. So nice the ice!

2. Posted by Therese on January 27, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Another hit!!!! Love it!

3. Looks like a very fun time among the ice crystals!

4. Nice! I did the same thing today but didn’t see any crystals like those in your first three shots.

5. Posted by my secret love for you on January 27, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Wonderful, is that unbelievable how much beauty is in nature, for free!!!! all over around us!

6. Love ice patterns!! All of them are unique, like snowflakes.. I never tire of watching them 🙂

7. Great crystalline geometric shapes. As much as I don’t like the cold, I wish I had your opportunity, just for a little while, to photograph these ice formations.

• I’ll take cold over heat any time. I have the good heavy clothes and boots for keeping me warm and dry. A running creek or a frozen one will keep me busy for hours.

8. God bless the countryside, the rural property, and the ability to capture it all.

Tim

9. Wow, those ice crystals are fascinating!