And More Ice

Buffy and I were hiking along the creek on my rural property last month.  Open water remained in areas with the most flow. Thin ice formed over areas where the water had less movement.

IMG_8656 crop red

Ridges of ice formed on the undersurface of the ice and resulted in the patterns of light and shadow on the rocks below.

The shapes and angles of the rocks added to the shapes of the designs too.

IMG_8668 crop red

Oh my.

IMG_8670 crop red

This one had me stumped with all the points that didn’t seem attached to a specific leaf.

IMG_8695 crop red

The ice’s surface looked relatively smooth.

IMG_8707 crop red

Just amazing!

1. Beautiful pictures! Thank you for share them

2. Posted by Vicki on February 8, 2013 at 8:21 am

that is so pretty.. I love clear water photos and the ice patterns really add it it.

3. The ice gives such clarity to the stones below. Lovely!

4. I’m always fascinated with reflections in a stream from ice or water ripples. Love the photos. Kathi :O)

5. P.S. I got my orb photo. I tried it at dusk and dark,but nothing . . . to my surprise, out in the forest one afternoon, I got a good one. It’s big and blue with an eye in it. Maybe I’ll post it just for the fun of it. Kathi :O)

• Congradulations! I’d like to see it. I’ve figured out a way to photograph them during the day with woods or a big tree. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll tell you more about how I do it. Orbs can be numerous or hardly any at all. Lately, they’ve been scarce. I haven’t figured out the why of things.

6. Reblogged this on The Balsamean and commented:
    I reblogged this because it is (1) evidence of mesmerizing art in nature, (2) evidence of art in the eye that notices it, (3) evidence of the importance of carrying a camera during all walks in the woods, and (4) proof that I’m not the only one who wanders in the woods and gets caught up for long spells of contemplating fascinating little things.

7. […] it measures up to what inspired it, but this post was inspired by the post that I reblogged from And More Ice at naturesnippets; Introduction to the Wonders of Nature, a blog that lives its name, by a southern […]