Leaf Miner

(I’m BACK!!! Finally. It turned out my blog site problem was my browser. I am of the over-60 club and didn’t grow up with computers. They still intimate me on certain things. Anyway, I am celebrating today!!!)

———-moths

Leaf miner patterns on leaves always fascinate me — how could a “critter” that small even exists?

The larvae of leaf miners feed on the cells inside the leaf, leaving a “trail” as they go. Feeding in the leaf protects them from predators.

The leaf above is off a lilac bush that I found recently.

I photographed this cottonwood leaf in August.  If you look close, you can see where a tunnel started in the lower left side of the picture. Then you can follow it as the larva ate and grew. Leaf miners can be larvae of moths, sawfies and flies.

1. Posted by Therese on November 22, 2013 at 11:58 am

When I first looked at the photo, I thought the leaf was a fossil! Very interesting!
    Welcome back, Teach!!!

2. It is amazing that something can be so small as to fit between both sides of a leaf. Glad you figured out the problem. I had browser problems too but once I switched to Google Chrome, they all went away.

3. Cool patterns! I first thought you had painted a stone, but as often happens when I visit your blog- I learnt something new 🙂 Welcome back!

4. Now thats fascinating! Welcome back, anyone over 45 is a little old school., myself included.;-)

5. I often see leaf miner trails in the leaves of frostweed, Verbesina virginica.

6. The markings on the lilac leaf appear to actually be the “tooth” marks of a slug or snail scraping mildew from the leaf surface. Interesting find!