After the Winter Storm

A strong winter storm went through a Friday December 6, leaving an inch of sleet, 10 inches of snow and cold temperatures.

We have a dense shrub/tree/vine border around most of the “back-back” of our two-acre yard. I suited up, and Buffy and I went out for a walk.  I photographed her foot prints, along with those of a cat, birds and deer. (A coyote crossed the yard that evening, and I added a picture of its tracks.)

A dark shape in the back caught my attention

IMG_4485 alt red

A dead mourning dove … with no sign of injury.

IMG_4538 alt red

I first took pictures of it, then followed the tracks 10 feet back to the “beginning of the end.”

IMG_4556 crop alt red

There was no sign of a “crash landing.”

IMG_4557 alt red

Its wings left long impressions in the snow.

1. A sad reminder that life can be harsh for our woodland friends in these kinds of extreme conditions. RIP.

2. Posted by Therese on December 15, 2013 at 8:54 am

Couldn’t have said it better, Mike Powell. RIP little one.
    This post made me sad but I am glad you posted it. We all need a reminder of the way the weather can affect our nature friends.

3. What a sad story, I wonder what caused it

4. Cie la vie, thus is life. Its going to be one long clod and snowy winter this year..

5. I wonder if it was just knocked out. I’ve seen them do it by running into windows. I saw a Baltimore oriole wake up and fly away once about a half hour after running into a garage window.

• It was a long way from the house… there is a new house that just moved in behind us. Maybe it ran into a window there and made it to our yard. There;s no sign of injury though.

6. How sad, I had to see kind of the same but with another little creature, and it is not nice at all. This is life 😦

7. Ah, how sad . . . it’s almost like it came to your yard for help!