Backyard Hooting!

It’s been years since I’ve sat and listened to young owls hooting.

Tonight … in my yard … were 3 young great horned owls hooting! This was a rare occurrence.

Barred owls are one of my absolute favorite things.

I must apologize for the quality of these two barred owlet pictures. They were taken about 15 years ago in the woods across from my rural property. The only way I could get them in the blog was to take pictures of the pictures in my computer. They are the only owl pictures I have (plus others taken then).

The nest was in a dead tree with the top broken off. There were 3 owlets.

I set up a pup tent for a blind. I could also watch them from the road in my blazer, with my spotting scope mounted on the window. I even watched an adult twice bring a snake. When the owlets climbed to the top of the broken tree, there was no place to go but down. They all survived. I heard them in the vicinity for a few weeks.

———

Buffy and I tent camped one night with a full moon (not connected to the above story). The owl family started hooting. They were all around us. Buffy just sat there, looking out the tent (had rain flap off and all windows open). We sat there, side by side, listening to the owl conversation around us. The young ones didn’t have the rhythm or volume right. It was such a special time!

I took this picture of the waxing moon before I came in the house. I didn’t want to hurt its feelings by spending all my time concentrating on the owls.

1. Great pictures, I know I have an owl living in the area of the back yard, because I can hear it at night but I haven’t been able to see it.

2. Great shots, I wish we had owls in my folks area of Tennessee, I’ve never seen or heard one there..:-)

3. Great pictures, I love owls!! Lucky you who got to see them.

• Thanks. I haven’t seen one in several years. I usually heard them when camping, which I haven’t done for several years either. An ATV site went in 1/4 mile south of my rural property. Ugh!

4. Owls are great things to see. I saw one fly down and land on the ground last summer but by the time I got there he / she was gone.

5. Posted by Therese on February 5, 2014 at 11:43 pm

You’re such a hoot!
    Seriously, fantastic shots!

6. Love owls a-hooting. I’ve been listening to one around us lately when I have to succumb to the balcony for a little cool air just after midnight every night, lol. I tell him who I am but he continues to ask me over and over again….. 🙂

• I think the great horned owls begin nesting the end of January here in southern Illinois. Not sure with a winter like this. I can’t imagine having owls where I could hear them often.

7. I can just imagine their conversation . . . I’ve never seen them or heard them during the winter season though

• Great horned owls begin nesting the end of January (wonder about this year with the Arctic blasts, etc? Barred owls begin the end of February. I live in southern Illinois.