A Cloudy Day Short Hike

It may not have been a bright sunny day (early in February). At least it was near freezing, and a light snow began falling. Buffy and I just had to get out before the next weather possibility.

A pretty day doesn’t have to be bright and sunny.

This grassy expanse, on my rural property, is a sandstone barrens. There’s another barrens on the other side of the ravine. Little bluestem grass is the dominate plant.

Last night’s heavy rain increased

the flow in the creek.

It didn’t look like anybody was at home.

Sandstone outcroppings occur commonly along the ravine.

I call this outcrop “my rock.” It has a natural seat (top left) where I sit and enjoy the view.

View to the left (north).

View in the front (east) and

view to the right (south).

The little bluestem grew taller last summer than I’ve ever seen it before. The stalks grew to my height and even more. I’ve seen it less than 3 feet during severe drought years.

Mini snow cones for sale?

IMG_7470 crop red

We passed five deer feeding near the road on our way home.

1. Posted by my secret love for you on February 21, 2014 at 10:33 am

Totally agree with you, a pretty day can be any day, even better when is out, with nature! great pictures<3

2. Beautiful natural features on your property. The dried grasses look so pretty in the snow.

3. Posted by Therese on February 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Oh, how I miss hiking!

4. I was thinking that your sitting place would be a great place to sit and watch for deer but I guess you don’t have to worry about seeing them. I’m surprised they let a dog get close.

• We were in the truck on the way home when I saw the deer. Buffy is a big (90 lb) dog, very friendly and alpha too. I used to sit on my rock a lot way back when. I used to have a small camper there and camped a lot. It was so wonderful until they put in an ATV site. Their gate is half a mile from my pull-in. UGH. It was even funded by the DNR. There should be laws!

5. Glad to see the deer finding food in the snow. We always feel lucky to see the deer that come to drink out of the water barrel we keep filled for them during our dry winter.

6. When the sun isn’t shining so bright, nature’s natural tones seem to brighten. Lovely scenery for a great hike! Love the mini snow cones!

• Thanks. I always pick hiking/outing. Way back when I wanted to see the different plant communities at different times of the day, in different weathers and different seasons.