A Yard Surprise

I took my first-ever picture of a pileated woodpecker this afternoon …

in my backyard!

We’ve lived in this house 40+ years. I’ve only seen one other pileated in the yard, and that was 3 weeks ago.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures. They were taken through a double-pane, not-so-clean picture window.

Not to mention that the pileated was hungry and aggressively hunting for “supper.” They eat mainly carpenter ants and beetle larvae.

This sweet gum tree grows roughly 20 yards from the house.  It’s health isn’t that good.

So, yes, I took these pictures from my computer chair.

The 3:30 p.m. sun was just right for the circumstances surrounding this experience.

It was aggressive in its hunting/drilling/chipping.

IMG_0107 alt red

The pileated drilled all these holes during the 30 minutes I watched it. Not all show in the picture.

I’m hoping it returns often, now that it knows the sweet gum is a good food source.

1. Very nice and right in your backyard! How lucky are you! They’re a beautiful bird.

2. Posted by Therese on March 7, 2014 at 10:10 am

Wonderful! Wonderful! Loved it.
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…..
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…
    Stuck on last line….hahahahahahahahaha! (Terrible Woody Woodpecker imitation; I do it much better in person!)

3. I’d be willing to bet that he’ll keep coming back until that limb lies in shreds on top of the snow. That’s my kind of birding adventure!

• Obviously, he found what he was after. He had no idea I was enjoying the encounter.It took me a long time to see my first one way back when. My oldest son spotted it and still remembers that.

4. This is great — it’s what I do everyday, sit by the window and watch what comes into the yard.

5. Such an impressive bird.

6. Fantastic shots, glad you got them! 🙂