Morning Explorations

IMG_0628

I initially went outside to take a few poppy pictures.

IMG_0631

This iris is a family heirloom from my grandmother. Several of them attracted ants.

IMG_0637

The immature male white-tailed skimmer (Libellula lydia) flew out occasionally hawking insects.

IMG_0646  crop

I first thought it was an eastern-tailed blue butterfly and soon realized it was a spring azure (Celastrina argiolus ladon).

IMG_0653

A red-eared slider was crossing our front yard, heading toward the highway.

IMG_0655

It posed for pictures. Friday traffic was too heavy for me to carry it across the highway. I didn’t see which direction it ended up heading.

IMG_0659

Indian Pink (Spigelia marilandica) is a perennial that grows in low moist woods, ravines or stream banks.

IMG_0666

Spiderwort (Trandescantia sp.) is a wildflower too.

IMG_0670

This iris was bent over and hidden under an area with dense growth.

IMG_0672

Grandfather’s rose is a family heirloom. It was given to my grandmother when my mother was born in 1929.

IMG_0692

A “whoop” practically echoed over the yard when I found the first cluster of catalpa hornworm eggs. The immature stages of the caterpillars, plus all the predators they attract, make for interesting caterpillar watching.

IMG_0701

This dragonfly did cooperate for pictures. I think it’s a juvenile blue dasher.

An hour sure can pass quickly when I’m having fun.

1. Beautiful pictures one and all. I particularly liked the Indian Pink. It must be particularly heartwarming to have some of your grandparent’s flowers to enjoy. They live on!

2. Fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing!

3. Great photos, especially the one with the eggs- very cool shot. 🙂

4. Posted by Tree Lover Therese on June 7, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Photos spectacular! You help the world see detail and the beauty in the minute. Not minute…my noot! LOL

5. I’ve never seen the Indian pinks. They probably don’t grow here.
    I love that shot of the caterpillar eggs. I’m going to have to check our catalpas!

• I’m not sure the range of the Indian pinks. I took pictures the eggs in the catalpa. Then never found them after that. Did see one half grown caterpillar and haven’t seen any since. My oldest son’s taking moth pictures and has seen several of the moths lately. So, things should pick up soon.

6. Thanks for the nice stroll!

7. Lovely images. I love your special heirloom rose.

• Thanks. The rose is quite special. It also comes with the responsibility of keeping it healthy. My mother was born in 1929. I keep my fingers crossed.